A few times a year I try to design fun and free crochet patterns, as a ‘thank you’, to all of you who have bought my crochet patterns and have supported me. This time I made little crochet Easter eggs and a basket that fits precisely two of the eggs.
With this free crochet pattern for little Easter eggs and a basket, you can create fun Easter ornaments. I made the size of the eggs and basket so it combines well with my crochet animal patterns.
Of course especially Finse will make a lovely, quizzical crochet Easter bunny.
Finse finds himself not particularly a crochet Easter bunny, but more a normal rabbit, as you can tell by his expression.
The eggs and basket pattern
For this pattern you’ll need worsted weight yarn and hook US E/3,5 mm. to get an approximately 2,7 inch /7 cm wide basket and 1,77 /4,5 cm high eggs. I used a bunch of colours of Lètt Lopi, a 100% wool. To stuff the eggs you will need fiberfill and a two beads or buttons are optional. I’ve used beads to accentuate where the handle of the basket is fixed.
You can use a paper clip as stitch marker to mark the beginning of each round. Move it up each time you start a new round. The exact colours I have used for this little pattern you can find below it and, if you’ve become fond of Finse and want to complete the eggs and basket with a suitable bunny, you can find the pattern in my shop or my shop at Ravelry.
Abbreviations: ch = chain, sc = single crochet, sl st = stip stitch, dc = double crochet stitch, hdc = half double crochet stitch, s2tog = decrease.
Work around the chain.
1. ch of 7, in 2nd ch from hook 2 sc, sc in next 4, 2 sc in last, turn/go to bottom loops, 2 sc in bottom loop of that last st, sc in next 4, 2 sc in last = 16
2. 2 sc in next, sc in next 6, 2 sc in next 2, sc in next 6, 2 sc in next = 20
3. 2 sc in next, sc in next 8, 2 sc in next 2, sc in next 8, 2 sc in next = 24
4. 2 sc in next, sc in next 10, 2 sc in next 2, sc in next 10, 2 sc in next = 28, close with sl st.
5. ch 2 and go back (you go back so the stitches will be stacked different, which will form a nice seem for the side of the basket. You only do it this one time) dc in next 28 = 28, sl st
6. ch 2, dc in nect 28 = 28, sl st
7. ch 1, sc in next 28 = 28, sl st and weave in end.
Leave a long tail when you make the chain, for sewing.
1. ch of 20, in 2nd ch from hook hdc, hdc in next 17, sl st and leave tail.
(You can of course make the strap as long as you like, or two so you can make a backpack for a doll. Do whatever you like!)
Sew the strap to the basket and add a button or bead if you like.
The eggs. In multiple colours. If you make striped eggs, change colour in the last stitch of a round. Change colour in the last loop of a stitch, so the loop on the hook you end with, will be in the new colour.
1. magic ring of 5 = 5
2. 2 sc in each around = 10
3. (sc in next 3, 2 sc in next) x 3 = 15
4 – 6. sc in each around = 15
7. (sc in next 3, s2tog) = 12
8. sc in each st around = 12
9. (sc in next 4, s2tog) x 2 = 10, now stuff the egg firmly.
10. sc in each st around = 10
11. s2tog x 5 = 5. Sew the hole closed by putting the needle from the inside out, trough all the outside loops of the 5 st, clockwise. If you do it correctly, you can now pull the tail and it will close the gap. Weave in the end.
Lopi colour numbers. Brown: 0053, orange: 1410, yellow: 1411, pink: 1412, apple green: 1406, grey green: 9422 and mustard: 9264.
Have a lovely spring and Easter festive.