Crochet Starfox

Meet Fox McCloud, the hero of the Starfox games. Tough but fuzzy, sturdy but soft.

This was a tricky doll to crochet. I didn’t know where to start, so made the most fun part first, the boots, because if the boots where finished, the rest needed to come for sure. The boots turned out great and it worked!  After the boots, I made the legs and body in one piece, after that the jacket, arms and tail. And then came the head, which I had to make 5 times. The first one was too big, the second too small, the third the wrong shape and so on, till the fifth was good enough. And here’s the result! I didn’t love him at first, but after a few days I’m starting to do!

"crochet starfox" "starfox doll"

'crochet fox" "fox amigurumi"

"gehaakte starfox" "gehaakte vos"

The proportions of this doll where the hardest part. I knew which proportions this Starfox doll should have, but translating that into crochet stitches gave me a headache. Picking the right colour was a bit of a kerfuffle too. A long time ago I’d bought the yarn for Starfox, but when I started on the head, I began to doubt about the rusty fox colour I had. It was too dark, and the other orange I had, was too orange. So I went to a local shop, found a more yellow orange but that was a totally different kind of yarn. After some short circuit in my head, I decided to use the light orange. It turned out just fine, the little rage was for nothing.

Here you can see detailed pictures of different parts of Starfox. In one of the images you can see how I made his expression. The real Starfox has white oval shaped eyes. I tried to make them, but I didn’t like my Fox with eyes like that. He just looked too mean and I couldn’t get it nice. I decided to leave out the white bits and just go for brads with green felt underneath and a little embroidered stripe above. This way he was lovable, but maybe a bit less Starfox.

"fuzzy crochet fox"  "starfox tail"  "starfox legs"

"crochet fox tail" "gehaakte vossenstaart"  "crochet action figure"  "crochet fox face"

Crochet Starfox is about 20 cm / 8 inch tall, made with a worsted weight yarn. His fur coat is brushed a bit.

This is the last game figure I’m going to crochet. The reason is, I find it quite limiting to make an existing figure. It has to look like ‘the real thing’ which puts boundaries to my own fantasy. Making me own creations give me a lot more satisfaction and less frustration.

The pattern for this doll you can buy for a small amount at Son’s Popkes Shop and in my Ravelry shop. You can also order it directly from me here. The pattern is written like the free patterns here, in standard American crochet terms. It contains clear instructions and lot’s of example images.

29 Comments

1. ingridcc says:

Maybe I’m not qualified to judge because I don’t know the actual game, I only saw the picture on your earlier post. But the white eyebrows you gave him make him look so resolute, just like the picture on the game, while still lovable.
    The face and tail are so great! Actually your Starfox has more character than “the real thing,” so I think he truly is your own creation.

2. Thanks Ingrid!

And I guess you’re right. As an artist I think you always add something of yourself to whatever you make, and when you make something ‘existing’ , that bit from you makes it a unique piece. I think when it comes to making existing characters, there has to be the right balance in making a good representation of that character and personal creativity. But for me it feels like I’m actually remaking someone else his creation and while doing it I keep thinking, next time I’m going to make really my own. That’s more fun to do for me.

3. Jourdan says:

Oh my goodness, you did SUCH an amazing job. I always check your blog, especially when you’re working on a project, so I was super excited to see this finished this morning! Amazing. Thank you for sharing! ❤

4. Beautiful character! I understand what you mean about wanting to get the details right – and it takes a great deal of time. If you are willing to share your pattern, I would really like to make Starfox. I know someone who would be thrilled to have him.

• I would love to send you the pattern. I’ve got one little condition, or request…. When you’ve finished the doll, I would love to see a picture of the result! I’m always so curious how peoples dolls, made by my pattern turn out.

The pattern hasn’t been typed out yet, but as soon as that’s done I’ll email it to you.

Best, Sonja.

5. Christine says:

Your starfox is AMAZING!!! I love how you made all the details. Would love to get the pattern.
    Greetings from Germany

Christine

6. henrietb says:

IEEEEEE STAR FOX!!!
    You don’t know how long i waited to see a GOOD version in crochet from him!
    I would LOVE to make him, so would it be rude to ask for the pattern? :3
    You can find my e-mail in the comment 🙂

• Hi Christine and Henriet,

You both can have the pattern of course. I have to type it out and check it, and after that I’ll email it to you. That’ll be next week or so. My request to you is, please send me an image of your Starfox, if possible, when he’s finished.

Thanks for your interest, I wondered how many people would ‘find’ this Starfox doll.

Sonja.

7. stephanie says:

i would absolutely love this pattern. my son is a huge starfox fan and wanted a stuffed crochet one for christmas. i could find no pattern anywhere. you did a very good job. i knew what character it was soon as i saw it on craftster 🙂 thanks in advance. my email is added to bottom.

8. Margarita Gomez says:

Hello! that beautiful Fox McCloud, excuse the question, let me know if you sell this doll Starfox?
    I am from El Salvador, regards.

Margarita Gomez.

9. Margarita Gomez says:

Hello! thank you very much for your reply.

I can not crochet, but I know one person who knows crochet, please, if you do not mind, send me the pattern and I will ask the person who knows how to crochet if you can do.

I’m super fan of StarFox is my favorite game and I like his characters, is a great game.

Thank you very much for your kindness.
    Greetings from El Salvador ^ _ ^

Margarita Gomez.

10. Boa tarde achei lindo seu blog e o principal sua criatividade nem sempre eu consigo criar um boneco kkkkkk
    Se não for pedir de mais você poderia me enviar o padrão do StarFox vou ter que traduzir mas prometo mandar as fotos depois de pronto.
    Desde ja eu agradeço sua gentileza Luciana Brasil

Good afternoon I found your beautiful blog and the main creativity I can not always build a snowman kkkkkk
    If not ask for more you could send me the pattern of StarFox’ll have to translate but I promise to send the photos after the fact.
    Since already I thank your kindness Luciana Brazil

11. Martha says:

Hello, I.m really impressed with your StarFox Fellow and would love to make him if you could please send me your pattern. Thank you so much!! HUGGGSSS, Martha

12. Nicole says:

You did a great job, he looks just like the game! I am incredibly impressed. I would love the pattern, and would enjoy sharing a picture when I’m finished 🙂

13. Suzy Redfern says:

Wow so cute, would love the pattern please. I just started crocheting again since a mild stroke stopped me doing it. Got several crochet books for my kindle recently prefer them on my free PC ap though rather than my real kindle as you can highlight the rows and that helps my bad stroke memory. Not sure how long it will take me to do him though and may have to change the colours of him, got pale grey but no dark so might use Navy for that colour. I’m so slow at the moment so might take a while to do him, but love him no idea of the computer game so don’t know character, don’t play any computer games at the moment too busy reading and crocheting.

• Sonja says:

Hi Suzy and Nicole, I’ll mail you the pattern asap.
      And you’re lucky, because from now on I’ll sell this pattern in my new opened shop, for a small amount.

I got so many positive reactions and request that I was confident enough to do so!

Thank you all for your great support!

• Suzy Redfern says:

Thank you so much I wish you loads of luck selling the pattern I’m sure you will sell lots its too cute for words I buy my patterns at the moment from Amazon.co uk on the kindle because I find them easy to use. bought 6 the other day, and getting them in half a minute is so good, hate waiting for the post.

14. Pingback: geekpaperscissors.com » Amigurimi Fox McCloud

15. Lori says:

I did the starfox and he turned out really cute…I want to know if you want pictures of the finished crochet ami