Crochet bear pattern

This post is all about my crochet teddy bear pattern. How do you make this fuzzy bear amigurumi, what kind of yarn is suitable for this project and more.

Let’s start with the type of yarn I would recommend. I wrote the pattern for a ‘quick to crochet teddy bear’. I used as less rows and stitches as possible. That means, if you use a thin yarn, the bear will be a bit small. For my bears I used a 4 and 3,5 hook. The big bear is 8.2 inch/ 21 cm (from head to feet) and the little one 7 inch/ 18 cm. When making amigurumi, you use the smallest hook possible, to prevent gabs between the stitches, except when you’re working with fuzzy yarn. For these bears I used not the most heavy yarn, but at least a worsted weight and a bit fuzzy, especially the yarn for the big bear. (More about that yarn you can read in my yarn experiment post.)

Here is a picture of the finished small teddy and the parts of the larger one.

"gehaakte beer onderdelen"

And here’s the finished crochet bear!

amigurumi bear, crochet teddy bear

"bear amigurumi crochet"

"crochet bear", "gehaakte beer patroon", amigurumi bear pattern"

The smallest teddy bear is my favorite one. I called him Teddy. He is made with worsted weight yarn and hook E / 3,5 cm.

The pattern for this crochet teddy bear you can find in my shop and in my Ravelry shop. You can Also order it directly from me here. The pattern is written in standard American crochet terms. It contains clear instructions and lot’s of example images.

I hope you enjoy making this crochet teddy bear!

24 Comments

1. babs says:

I’m crocheting your bear in micro miniature, in Lila/pink, when finished ill post it on my website. I’ts a lovely bear.

If your really curious, my twitter has a picture already of it. (@Ubercute)

Although i have one question about the pattern. By the arm and legs it says: 5 sc, dec, 5sc. And the total stitches is 2 less then the round before. Does it miss a decrease?

• Sonja says:

Hello Babs, thanks for asking this, I wouldn’t have noticed this error if you hadn’t mentioned it! I forgot to write x2 after the s2tog’s/dec’s.
      It should be sc in next 5, s2tog x2, sc in next 5. It’s the same for the legs, I changed it in the pattern now. I hope it didn’t give you too much trouble…sorry.

Your tiny mini bears looks adorable! It’s great to see a bear made with my pattern, and yours are really special too!

Succes met de rest, groetjes Sonja.

• babs says:

How funny, talking english to a dutch person. Toch wel grappig dat niemand het merkt. inmiddels is het beertje net af. Helaas wel ‘fout’ maar toch wel mooi geworden.

Op twitter staat een matige foto (met mobiel). Binnenkort op mijn website.

Wil hierna miss een jointed sock monkey maken, vind die zo leuk.

Groetjes,
        Babs

2. Rita says:

Sooo a great pattern! An the bears are soo cute!! Thanks for the pattern!!!
    And I love Aminekos too;)
    Regards, Rita

PS sorry my english;)

• Sonja says:

Hey, thanks for your kind comment! I hope your bear turns out good.
      And Amineko’s rock, I already made two but often feel the need to make another.

p.s. I completely understood you! And looked at your blog, very colourful, I liked it, and Switzerland!

3. Natalie says:

i am having trouble understanding what s2tog means i cant find it anywhere!!! please help me
    thanx natalie

• Sonja says:

Hi Natalie,

It’s a decrease stitch. What I do is put my hook trough the outside loops of the next two stitches and than make a single crochet. This way you make from two stitches one, with out a noticeable gap. Extra info about the outside loops: For a normal sc you go trough both loops of a stitch, when doing a s2tog, you only go trough the outside loops of the v shape from the stitch. I hope this clears it up.

Good luck, Sonja.

4. L says:

This is very cute! Have started making one for my new nephew. Surprisingly easy for a first crochet project, so far I have the head, muzzle, ears and body. However, I’m not sure on how to start joining the parts together… How did you do that on these lovely bears?

• Sonja says:

It’s very simple, just sew everything together. What I do first is finish the head. Pin the pieces on and than start sewing. For the muzzle I sew the bottom stitches of it to the head. The head I attach completely to the body by sewing the loops of the bottom and top stitches of the pieces together. The arms and legs I close by sewing the loops of the back and front together, so you have a flat end of for the leg 5 st and the arm 4 st wide. Than I pin them on the body and sew. That’s it.

Hope this clears it out, good luck.

Regards Sonja.

5. denise theriault says:

love love love your teddy! and your yarn colors!! everyone here is thanking you for the pattern but ,i cannot find it here!! can you help me out?? i would love to make this handsome boy!! thanks denise

• Sonja says:

Nice to hear you love my teddy :). It’s right here. You can also order it directly from me if you don’t have a Craftsy account. The order form you can find at the pattern tab at the top of the blog.

6. Christine M says:

Just found this pattern and I’m goiing to make one. I make bears for all the children who are baptised at our church. I’d been looking for a different pattern, and this one looks perfect.